2007-10-06

Attacked! 2007-10-18

I had an asthma attack at my community group this week. I knew I was in trouble the moment I got out of my car and noticed that I had left my inhaler at home. I'm highly allergic to cats (which makes me wonder what message my parents are sending me by owning a cat) which can trigger an attack. And of course the saint who host our group has a cat (I have to remind myself that yes God loves cat people too).
I struggled through our Bible study but as we shared and laughed during our prayer time it became more and more of a chore to breathe. After prayer Chris turned to me and noted how he could hear me wheezing throughout the prayer.
Lately it's been a real burden. I usually fall asleep at night on with my inhaler in hand and wake up in the middle of the night searching for it. I find that it was the pain in my neck, literally, I fell asleep on the inhaler.
The most frustrating thing though is when someone says something like, "I know how hard it is, I had asthma once." or "I used to have asthma so I remember how difficult it is". Um...I hate when people say that. I guess the only thing I might be able to compare the difference to would be if I said to someone who had AIDS, "I feel for you, I had AIDS when I was a kid, so I know what you're feeling." It's not that I don't appreciate you trying to empathize, but you don't know burden of living with the disease like I have to. Plus it's like telling a man who's starving to death that you understand hunger while you eat a steak.

OK, that's enough of my complaining.

Breath deep my friends

No comments: