2009-06-19

SF 49ers

People who know me know that I am a huge San Francisco 49er fan. 

If I was being honest I cannot say I always have been.  Because I was born at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado, I assumed at a young at that I had to be a Denver Bronco fan. 

This changed on January 22, 1989, Superbowl XXIII, when I saw Joe Montana lead the Niners to a victory of the Cincinnati Bengals.  More specifically the moment Montana hit John Taylor in the end zone with 34 seconds still on the clock to take the game winning lead.  I thought that was the most incredible thing I had ever seen (as far as football went, baseball is a whole other story) and as of this year I have been rooting on “my Niners” for 20 years.

This year’s schedule was recently released:

Sept 13                 @ Arizona

Sept 20                 vs. Seattle

Sept 27                 @ Minnesota

Oct 4                      vs. St. Louis

Oct. 11                  vs. Atlanta

Oct. 18                  BYE week

Oct 25                   @ Houston

Nov 1                    @ Indianapolis

Nov 8                    vs. Tennessee

Nov 12                  vs. Chicago (a Thursday night game)

Nov 22                  @ Green Bay

Nov 29                  vs. Jacksonville

Dec 6                     @ Seattle

Dec 14                   vs. Arizona (a Monday night game)

Dec 20                   @ Philadelphia

Dec 27                   vs. Detroit

Jan 3                      @ St. Louis

RED = 2008 Losing Record

GREEN = 2008 Winning Record

BOLD = Finished 8-8

Underlined = A playoff team

 

This should be a tough first half of the year, but the second half could see the Niners making a playoff push.  They finished last year at 7-9, and I have to believe that this year should see them finish at least 8-8.  If some aspects of their game find themselves just “clicking”, like it can sometimes happen for a team, they may actually take a game or two and make the playoffs.  It would be nice to see them play an extra game this season.

No comments: