2010-10-05

Playoffs!

I believe I made the prediction before the season started that the Texas Rangers would make the playoffs this year.  But if I was honest I wasn't sure I entirely believed that; I made the prediction more out of faith and hope than head knowledge.  If I had were to have picked a team based on what my head was telling me and not my heart I thought the Rangers were going to have a good season, but fall short because the Angels or Mariners just had better seasons.
But that just never happened.  In fact Texas lead most of the season, despite some injuries and stretches of "not their best baseball". Around the All-Star game it really did look like Rangers were going to coast into the post season.  However, I have been saying that, while in full support of my team and a belief that anything can happen, more than likely the Rangers were not a World Series team.
Some days I just have trouble getting my head and heart to agree.  But I'll be rooting along with all my heart tomorrow night as the Rangers open up their series against Tampa Bay.  I will say that I don't think we have seen the Rangers playing their best baseball in the past few months, as they weren't really pressured in their division.  I'm hoping they come into the playoffs rested and full of energy.
I will also admit that this being Bobby Cox's final year in Atlanta I am rooting for them as well (but not if they face Rangers in the WS).
Here are my MLB Play-off Predictions:

Wild Card Round
Texas Rangers vs. Tampa Bay Rays = Rays (in four)
New York Yankees vs. Minnesota Twins = Yankees (in five)
Cincinnati Reds vs. Philadelphia Phillies = Phillies (in four)
San Francisco Giants vs. Atlanta Braves = Braves (in four)

League Championship Series
Tampa Bay Rays vs. New York Yankees = Rays (in six)
Philadelphia Phillies vs. Atlanta Braves = Phillies (in seven)

World Series
Philadelphia Phillies vs. Tampa Bay Rays = Phillies (in six)

5 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

Four words: I hate the Phillies.
I will root for ANY team playing the Phillies. I even became a Yankee fan last year!!
But, of course, you are right. Which team of those in contention can beat them? Giants? No way. Reds? Maybe...Brave? Our best bet!!

It would be nice to see the Rangers in the WS
Let someone else have a chance, right?!

PETE Di LALLO said...

If we're hoping for the Yanks to not win, like Julie, why not root and hope the Rangers go all the way and kick the heck out of the Phillies which I hate too...
why couldn't Texas beat the Rays and the Yanks or whichever one they play...it's their time and I'm rooting for them...as long as the Giants and Yanks don't win, it doesn't matter...

TSHarrison said...

Julie -
Wow! Last night is exactly why I picked the Phillies. Halladay is a freak. And they follow it up with Oswalt and then Hamels. That's the toughest rotation in the league.
I'm stoked about the Rangers win yesterday. Cliff Lee looked awesome. But the rest of the Texas rotation is going to have to play big in order to really have a shot. However, their bullpen is a lot better than you first think. Second best in the AL this year, behind the Rays.
One of the best parts about the Rangers playing so well right now is that Nolan Ryan is their owner. I don't know if I was more thrilled to see Cruz and Moilna hit homeruns or the shots of NR watching the game in the stands. Ha.
I think you're right the Brave rotation can compete against the Phillies, but the Atlanta bats are going to have to wake up in order to really be a threat.

I love this time of year!
-t-

TSHarrison said...

Pete -
I'm rooting for my team, no doubt.
I tend to make my predictions based more on what my head is telling me and not my heart. This way if they still win, I'm even more thrilled.
I think the Phillies rotation is going to be dominate in this post-season, but I wouldn't mind (sorry) seeing the Giants capture a World Series. It's been a while for them too.
But after my Ranger, I'd most like to see Bobby Cox retire a champion. That guy has been incredible in Atlanta.

I love this time of year.
-t-

PETE Di LALLO said...

The days are narrowing down to the final tomorrow...let's keep our fingers crossed and say a few prayers so the Texans will win...I hate the thought of playing the stinking Yankees but better now than never, eh?