2009-11-24

Photos: Images of the Southwest

Found this interesting website displaying some images of Native Americans from this book:

Glass Plates & Wagon Ruts: Images of the Southwest by Lisle Updike and William Pennington

As a military child I grew up with the opportunity to live in several places. One of those, twice, was South Dakota. If you have ever seen the film Dances with Wolves that's where I grew up. In fact several locations on that movie are creeks and plains that we fished or hunted (rather my dad and brothers hunted, I was never a hunting type of guy, but I did fish on a few occasions).

School in often consisted of lessons on Native American culture, specifically the Sioux people. Actually I attended high school with one of the young men who was in Dances with Wolves.
I say all that to say that I have an interest in Native American art and culture. I even recently learned that I have some family tree descendants along those lines. (I know, I know, when you look at me that's instantly what you assume).
Visit this site to see some of the images that are in the book I mentioned above. Here are a couple to wet your whistle:

No comments: