2008-06-05

Hoping for One Last Go Around

John Smoltz announced yesterday that his season was over and that next week he would have potentially career ending shoulder surgery early next week.
I'm really hoping he gets one more season to go out on his terms and that the fans will be able to appreciate his incredible career.
People lose sight of the amazing transformation he made switching from a starting pitcher to a full time closer several years back because of the record breaking stint of Gagne, but Smolz understood the concept of the team and was willing to embrace the role. As dominating as Gagne was Smoltz was always my preference to have closing the big game. I'd even take him over Rivera of the Yankees.
Anyways I'm thinking he needs a farewell season and I'm hoping the rehab process will allow it.

No comments: