2008-01-05

No Comic Left Behind

Superman Finds New Fans Among Reading Instructors

Researchers at Columbia University have found through a recent study that comic books have the potential to aid young readers in the literary development.
Click on the above headline to link to the story.
There has been previous understanding that comics, with their paneled pictures and dialogue had the potential to harm young readers.
I have always struggled reading. I find myself having to reread words, sentences, paragraphs, even whole chapters numerous times until I really was able to grasp what was being communicated. I really notice this at church when singing along to songs using the hymnals or projected lyrics. I constantly mix up the words or phrases. This results in me saying/singing some major theologically inappropriate things. Perhaps even blasphemous.
But I would contribute any reading success that I have partially to having read comics growing up. Not Superman like the above story link, but a real superhero like Spider-Man.

1 comment:

Chris Morton said...

It's good to know there's finally researching proving my hours of Comic Book reading helped make me into the genius I am today. Just imagine what a better reader you would be if you had spent more time reading Batman.