2006-12-07

A ban on all religion?

"From my point of view, I would ban religion completely. Organized religion doesn't seem to work. It turns people into really hateful lemmings and it's not really compassionate." - Elton John

You can read more of Elton John's statement HERE.

I'm a little torn by the comments made by Sir Elton. While I think it's pretty shortsighted and intolerant of him to not allow a person of faith to have the opinion that homosexuality is wrong, I wonder if this reaction is due to the unloving response Christians have shown the gay community.

It's hard to live a response like Jesus' because Jesus never encounter a homosexual in the scriptures. But we do know that Jesus loved sinners and responded to sinners with demonstrations of love. And we know that Jesus was stern and confronting in the way he addressed believers who did not demonstrate love.

I am not in anyway condoning homosexuality. Just like I wouldn't condone any kind of sexual immorality. But I do believe we need to be a people who love the unlovably...just like God loved us.

-T-

No comments: